Monday 7 March 2011

Finding Friends


It is strange that at a particularly low point in my personal and professional  life, I should find friends from my early school days, to rally around me.  I spent my adult years away from them, yet at a point which I could call a mid life crisis, I yearned  for them to be around.  Undoubtedly  then I can say  that they have always been a part of my subconscious mind  all along. To say that the days spent with them  were the best  years of my life would, of course, be an understatement.
On the other hand I have my children to thank for finding them again. After avoiding  the annual  reunions for many years because of the state my mind was in, my kids decided it was time  for  me to get going again, and pushed me to attend it this year.  My daughter  selected the outfit I should wear, she even made me put  eyeliner  on my eyes.  My son literally drove me out of the house.
What I  gained from their move  was unsurpassable.   I reached the venue  to find old friends and ‘new old friends’  whom  I had not been in touch with for long.  With everyone having walked along their different paths  for  so many years, it was a sheer joy to be together and relive the ‘good old days’,  again. We exchanged phone  numbers, mail  and personal addresses and promised to keep in touch with one another.  Of course going back to the daily grind made things difficult.  But then the much loved social networking site, the FACEBOOK, came to the rescue.
Having hopped on to the Facebook bandwagon rather late , I had no idea what  the ride on it would be like. But all I can honestly say  now is that life has been a whirlwind since.   So here I am now, happy and at peace with my long-lost friends, via the Facebook.  Incidentally, the movie The Social Network, a semi factual take on the founding of Facebook,  bagged three Oscars this year.  Long live, Mark Zuckerberg!

No comments:

Post a Comment